Translate

21 July 2020

I Catch a 36-inch Halibut in Monterey, CA



We live in Arizona now and ocean fishing is somewhat limited there, y’know? Spending the month of July in Pacific Grove, Calif, I’ve been able to kayak fish as I wish. Weather has been cool, skies overcast, and seas calm for great paddling, but the bite has been off (meaning lethargic, disinterested fish that ignore all offerings) until yesterday. 

 I launched near the Monterey Fisherman’s Wharf at 0730 on Monday 07/20 with glassy surface, little wind, surprisingly fast drift for such a calm day, overcast skies, good visibility. Reports of slow to no bite at all left me with low expectations, so I had planned on nothing more than a shakedown cruise to try out my new Shimano Baitrunner spinning reel. My first drop would be near a yellow buoy less than one mile from my launch. Once near the buoy, my yak drifted on a westerly course. 

At a depth of around 90 feet, I dropped a frozen squid on a 5/0 circle hook with a circle hook stinger using a reverse dropper loop to which I attached a 6-ounce sinker. I quickly hooked up and landed a very nice Brown Rockfish at about 0800. Quite pleased, I thought: ‘Great, that takes care of Mr. Skunk. At least my wife and I can enjoy a nice fish dinner. And BTW,’ I continued to myself, ‘I love this reel. That bait runner function seems to work well.’ Kayak fisher persons converse with themselves often while alone on the water--perfectly normal, really. 

We, my yak and I, drifted for about 15 minutes and had a really hard takedown (bite) that did not stick. I guessed it was a Halibut by the way it hit. Encouraged, I paddled back to my first drop. In about another 15 minutes, I felt another strong takedown followed by a hard nibble, all while using the baitrunner feature that provides for a two-tiered drag setting: the initial setting allows the fish to bite and move without feeling any resistance; the second setting disengages the first setting automatically and allows for setting the hook. Using circle hooks, I cranked gently until the rod bent nearly double, and the fight was on. 

Once hooked, the fish ran hard, and I knew I had something strong on the end of that line. She turned my yak 180 degrees and towed us some distance from the hookup spot. She pulled a lot of line and gave some really hard headshakes while she ran. After about 10 minutes, I started gaining line slowly and steadily. I got her to the surface, let her cruise in a circle a couple of times, then gaffed her and got the game clip into her gills, through the mouth, and locked down. Oh, happy, happy moment. I did my best to dispatch her quickly and as humanely as one can with a knife point where I thought the brain would be. She quivered a bit and had only reflex twitching, thereafter, so I think I did it right. I cut the gills and let her bleed out.

With my most satisfying catch, like evah, I considered calling it a day. Conversing specifically with my conscience, I was persuaded to end the adventure with gratitude: Conscience: ‘You want to be one of those non-caring, kill-everything-in sight fisher persons? What value in greed here?' continued my conscience. Isn't it better to leave it for now. Would not a 36-inch Halibut feed you for several meals?’ Although a bit annoyed with my interlocutor, I concurred on those points and went home a happy, satisfied fella.


Back at the short-term rental property at which we are spending the entire month of July, I filleted the Halibut cleanly, vacuum sealed the filets that now fill the freezer here. Dinner tonight will be around 1900 hrs. Y’all are welcome to join us.